This is a blog for Abington High School's period 4 State of the Union class. On it will be daily updates of current events and analyzations of news articles.
Tuesday, September 18, 2012
Arctic Treasures
For this blog post I chose to give my personal opinion on a popular news event. In the Arctic, the ice is melting at a record pace. Many people see this as bad, but some people are seeing it as good. In the Arctic, there is an abundance of natural resources such as, oil, gas, and minerals. However only the United States, Russia and a few European nations have claims to the Arctic territory. Countries like China have been trying to find ways to tap into these resources as well. The New York Times states, "At one point this summer, 97 percent of the surface of Greenland's massive ice sheet was melting" Another interesting fact the Times tells is, "Scientists say that by the end of the decade most of the ice will be melted." Now, I am not much of an environmentalist but I think something needs to be done about global warming. There is no way we should be letting these massive icebergs melt away in a few hundred years when they have been around for over a few thousand decades. I don't like that people are more concerned with tapping into the natural resources that the Arctic has to offer rather than trying to stop Global warming or at least slow it down. I think it just shows what kind of people we have become. I think it shows how most people are more concerned with making money than the important thing which is preserving the Earth for future generations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment