This article is about a study that was done and that showed that fewer teenagers are driving and driving. It says that in the last two decades the number of teens drinking and driving has dropped by more than half. It is supposidly beacuse of the tougher laws against drinking and driving. In 1991, a study was done and students were asked in the previous 30 days if they had drank and drove and 22.3 percent of people said yes. Then in 2011, the same question was asked and only 10.1 students reported that they had drank and drove. Percentages ranged from 4.6 percent up to 14.5 percent. Now, this could be either because the driving and driving laws are stricter, people are being more cautious, or students were lying.
Health officals say that about 54 percent of this is caused because the stricter laws such as junior operators cannot drive between the hours of 12:30am and 5:00am. Drinking and driving causes about 800 teenage deaths between the ages of 16-19 annually. Males around the age of 18 were the most likely to drink and drive while females around the age of 16 were the least likely to drink and drive. Health officals were happy with this study because it shows positive results.
I liked this article because I think it is a very important topic for students in high school. There is a ton of peer pressure on kids to be cool and do the "cool" thing. People get so wrapped up in trying to fit in that they make stupid decisions like drinking and driving. I know of people who have made the decision to drink and drive and although nothing bad has ever happened, it still upsets me. I don't like that people are willing to put their life at risk for a 10 minute drive. If anything were to ever happen to someone I knew I would be absolutely devistated.
No comments:
Post a Comment